The (j)oys of my life.

Currently...

Thursday, September 15, 2011

That Last Post Was A Doozy!

A guy died at work the other day. I didn't really know him, but I'd been working more at his building, so we'd been talking and I learned that he DJed on the weekends. I didn't know his relationship status, but I thought I'd find out one day because I might have liked to introduce him to my cousin. He seemed like her type. He must have started with the department just before I did. I've since come to find out that he went to the same high school that I did too! I learned more about him from his Facebook page. Yes, social media on the Internet.

Lately, when I learn of someone dying, I immediately look for a Facebook or Twitter account or even a blog. One guy whose music blog I'd read for about a year died suddenly and his wife posted to let his readers know. His blog is still in my blogroll. I even recently emailed a friend who died a couple of years ago simply because I saw her email address in my contact list. I can't bear to delete it. I just wrote that I missed her. I knew it would bounce back, but secretly hoped it wouldn't. If it didn't though, then what would I think? Probably just that someone used the same username, I guess. It would have been exciting for a minute though. Email to heaven!

I've thought for a long while about our presence on the web and what kind of legacy I would leave out there. I've also wondered what's gonna happen with all of my web stuff when I die. I have this little blog and I'm a normally a voracious Twitterer/Facebook poster. I've got a Pinterest account, a Goodreads account, and the list goes on. I don't know many of the people who "read me" in real life, just though social media, but I have a very real connection with a number of them. Would they miss me if I was suddenly gone? I know I would miss them. How would I let them know? Do I need to leave an edict in my will? If so, I should probably create a will. And passwords, do I share those with someone to close my accounts or what? So many questions.

I'm sorry I didn't get to know this guy a little better, but if he posted more on Facebook, I probably would, even after death. I know I put almost everything out there for the world and Joaquin to read--some would even say TMI (too much information). If the Internet is still around when that time comes for me, I just hope that my final post is a doozy! No naked pictures though! You're welcome!

Examples of great final posts:
"I just made it up Mt. Fuji. There's a bear..."
"I'm skiing down the Matterhorn, no hives."
"Paris is lovely."
"The yacht I'm on should have turned left at the Mediterranean."
"I finally met Johnny Depp!"
"I can smell!"
"All my dreams have come true!"
"It doesn't get any better than this."
"Now I've seen everything!"