The (j)oys of my life.

Currently...

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Floating

I almost drowned about 40 years ago. My family was having an Easter picnic at the Verde River with my Godparents and their boys. Me, my brother, and the boys were playing in the rocky water near the bank. (I was always with the boys.)

Some people don't really remember near death experiences and some make it seem like its a really big deal with bright lights and seeing dead people and stuff.

This is what I remember: Bubbles. Lots and lots of bubbles. Quiet, save for the sound of the water and muffled sounds of people around me. No fear, no thrashing or gasping for air. Floating. Yes, there was light, a diffused light from the sun.

Word has it that my dad, a rather large guy, ran faster than anyone had ever seen to pluck me from the water like a bear scooping up a fish. And then it was over.

Although I'd never wish this on anyone, thinking back, drowning was actually kinda nice. To this day, I love bubbles and to float on my back with my ears just under the surface of the water.

Since then, I've learned that kids drown because it is not as dramatic as we think it is. They just slip into the water, no gasping, no thrashing, it just envelopes them. This is, in fact, why someone must be watching at all times, just listening isn't enough. Thank goodness the boys I was with (I was always with the boys when I was little.) were paying attention, otherwise I might have just floated away. Forever.