I'm alone tonight. Ivan took the good car and I was left with the Impala that, a while ago, started acting like a Toyota with the gas pedal stuck, but then just decided to stall whenever it feels like it, even if it's going 70 MPH on the freeway.
I wanted Pete's Fish & Chips. There are three, all about the same distance from where I live.
First, I took the local streets to the one in Glendale. Whoa, there must be a lot of Catholics in this area, the drive-thru line spilled out into the street. I was worried the car would turn itself off if I idled too long and I was afraid it wouldn't start again if I turned it off, so I left.
I was trying to decide which to go to next as I got onto the freeway with extreme trepidation. I picked the one close to the Capitol even though it is not in the best area. The other isn't either, by the way. It was closer to the one I just left anyway. I'm driving in the outside lane of the freeway, just in case.
I get off the freeway, I know exactly where it is. Growing up, this was our Pete's. I pass the cemetery, wait to turn at the light, and there it is: The red fish, the Pete's sign!
I approached the drive-thru line. I knew exactly what I wanted. My eyes were burning holes in the back of the head of the girl in front of me--she was taking so long to order. Bing, bang, boom, I place my order, shrimp and chips, extra red sauce and a Diet Pepsi. (Pete's has my favorite kind of ice.) I'm waiting in the drive-thru, praying the car wouldn't turn off now. Just a little while longer. Waiting, waiting. Thinking about the closest person I could call if the car started flaking out. Wondering why I'm so desperate for Pete's where there are two other fish & chips places closer to home and why did I decide to eat so late. I am in need of an intervention. I could feel my heart beating fast.
I drive to the window, pay, get my food, and quickly leave. Wahoo! Home free! I decide go home via the route near the Capitol because I know, at least there are police around if the car stalls. Just a short stretch of freeway. I'm getting closer to home. I can feel the stress fading away. Closer, closer. Why is that light taking so long to turn green? What is the speed limit again? Better not push the car too much, I drive at a moderate speed, barely touching the gas.
Finally, I am home. Good car, we made it! I feel relieved. I get everything out of the car: My bag of shrimp and chips, my extra sauce, my phone, my purse, my napkins, my straw...Now, where is my soda?
Dang it!











