The (j)oys of my life.

Currently...

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Book Tracking

For my edification, books I read in January.

"The Willoughbys," by Lowis Lowry -- This youth book was a quick enjoyable read about "old fashioned" children who want to become orphans using examples in other children's literature. I actually had to look up words like lugubrious and onerous.

"Hairstyles of the Damned," by Joe Meno -- I almost didn't read this because I was being prudish about the foul language but I got past that and it ended up being a pretty good story about a high school kid finding himself.

"Charlotte in Paris," by Joan MacPhail Knight and Melissa Sweet -- This is a picture book with a story set in the late 1800s in a journal type format with charming illustrations. I learned about artists I hadn't really known before and have actually found a use for this knowledge recently. I think I want to buy it now.

"Christmas on Jane Street: A True Story," by Billy Romp and Wanda Urbansky -- I liked this book which is a true story about a family who sells Christmas trees in New York's Greenwich Village. The daughter came across as bratty at one point but I still enoyed it.