The (j)oys of my life.

Currently...

Friday, October 08, 2010

More Evolved Than I

I tweeted a few days ago about Joaquin telling me he was in love with a girl named Anna whom he met at Fall Break peer (school after care for holiday break). She goes to Edison school.

Our discussion was very interesting. First he asked if I was ever in love when I was in school. I told him that I had what I call, "crushes," lots of crushes, but I didn't really know what being in love was like when I was young.

Then he told me about the girl and asked if I had seen her. I asked when. "When we were leaving," he replied. All I remembered about leaving was that he raced out of the building and ran all the way to the car with papers flying behind him. I just thought he had ingested something sweet or caffeinated a little earlier. I didn't suspect that the one holding his heart was a few steps behind.

I asked him if he talked to her. He said no, and that he almost didn't want to tell me about her because he thought I might tell him to talk to her. Then he said, 'I've said, "Here,' when passing papers to her and stuff, but that is all."

I went on to tell him that one day he will meet someone who he will love and will love him back and he will just know. He added, "and will make me sad and break my heart." O.M.G., I thought, he really does know about love, but I told him that he would meet someone who loved him and not hurt him.

I want him to believe that for a few more years because he will learn soon enough that people sometimes inflict pain on the one they love. It happens.

Since Ivan and I were off of work Thursday and Friday, Joaquin doesn't have to go to peer. I asked him if he wanted to go to peer so he could see her a little more. He said no and I think it is because sometimes the idea of being in love is better than actually being in love. That, or he just wants to stay home to play with his Legos. I'm not sure which one.

He didn't want me to say anything, but I just had to write it down while it was still sort of fresh because I think it is so sweet and I now believe my child is more evolved than I on matters of love.